On- and Off-Premises Training for Bartenders, Servers and Cashiers

Alcohol Server

Online alcohol seller-server training lets you train at your own pace and get certified to sell alcohol legally and responsibly. Our state-accepted courses help bartenders, servers and other workers satisfy employer-required training to sell or serve alcohol.

Our courses teach important topics and skills that protect employees and businesses from liability. You'll learn about state alcohol laws, identifying underage customers, preventing sales to intoxicated persons and more.

After completing your training, you can instantly download and print your official Certificate of Completion.

Who Needs Alcohol Seller-Server Training?

Our online seller-server courses teach workers how to sell and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. State or local regulations often require this training for workers who sell alcohol to be consumed on or off premises, including:

  • Bartenders
  • Waiters
  • Servers
  • Restaurant employees
  • Cashiers who sell alcohol
  • Catering employees
  • Hospitality workers
  • Event organizers
  • Bouncers
  • Other workers in alcohol sales

If you don't know whether you need seller-server training for your job role, ask your employer. Even if your state doesn't require training, it could be mandated by your employer or local government.

Topics Covered in Seller-Server Training

Our alcohol seller-server courses prepare workers to promote the responsible use and sale of alcohol in accordance with state or local laws. This training educates employees of their legal responsibilities and helps protect the company from costly alcohol violations.

Course topics include:

  • State-specific alcohol laws and regulations
  • Underage drinking laws
  • Impaired driving laws
  • Short- and long-term effects of alcohol use
  • Estimating a customer's blood alcohol concentration (BAC)
  • Identifying minors by appearance and behaviors
  • When and how to check for valid ID
  • How to refuse alcohol service

If you don't know whether you need seller-server training for your job role, ask your employer. Even if your state doesn't require training, it could be mandated by your employer or local government.

Fast, easy. I had to get a certificate to start my job ASAP, and I couldn't have found a more sufficient website. Thanks!

— Andrea M.

Desktop Icon

Frequently Asked Questions

What is alcohol seller-server training?

Many states and employers require workers who sell, serve or handle alcoholic beverages to complete alcohol seller-server training shortly after starting employment. Our 100% online alcohol training courses are designed to help employees complete their mandatory training and become certified to sell and serve alcohol responsibly.

The goal of seller-server training is to educate workers on the basics of alcohol safety. Course topics include the effects of alcohol on the body, preventing underage drinking, preventing sales to intoxicated customers and state-specific alcohol laws and regulations. You'll learn a wide range of best practices that promote the responsible sale and use of alcohol. In addition, you'll protect yourself and your company from liability related to illegal alcohol sales.

What's the difference between on-premises and off-premises alcohol sales?

The terms on- and off-premises refer to whether the alcohol you sell will be consumed on-site at your place of work (on-premises) or at another location (off-premises). Our online courses help workers meet state or employer training requirements for on- and off-premises alcohol sales.

On-premises training is designed for workers at bars, restaurants, night clubs and other locations where customers consume alcohol on-site. Off-premises training is designed for workers who sell alcohol to be consumed off-site, such as convenience store employees, liquor store cashiers and cashiers at other businesses that don't allow alcohol consumption on-site.

Depending on your state and employer, you may need on-premises training, off-premises training or both. Select your state at the top or bottom of the page to learn more about the training your state requires and the seller-server courses we offer. If you're unsure which course you need, we suggest that you ask your employer.

Will my state, county or employer accept this course?

We work with alcoholic beverage control boards in a number of states to ensure our seller-server courses satisfy state, local or employer training requirements. In addition, we offer responsible alcohol training to workers who need employer-required training in states where seller-server training isn't mandated.

We offer state-accepted courses that are compliant with the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, the New York State Liquor Authority, the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, and other state departments that regulate alcohol. Select your state at the top or bottom of this page to learn about course approvals in your state.

How long will my seller-server certificate be valid?

The amount of time your certificate will remain valid can vary by state, but most states require employees to retake the course every three years. Employers and local jurisdictions may also specify how often you need to complete refresher training.

Select your state at the top or bottom of this page for more information about specific requirements in your state.

What is a dram shop law?

Dram shop laws in many states allow businesses to be held liable if they sell or serve alcohol to customers who later cause injuries or death due to their intoxication. These laws are designed to prevent negligent alcohol sales to minors and intoxicated persons.